Shhhh I'm Sleeping

It's kind of late for a school girl on a school night because tomorrow i'm supposed to wake up early but won't because i won't be going to school tomorrow. why you may ask? well my friends, i am sick. yep. my tunny nose and itchy throat won't stand the cold air of my class room with noisy classmates and the dancing activity i have to teach to my younger graders. therefore i asked to rest at home for a day.

so yesterday i went to the mall with trista to watch ironman 3 and after that i bought some craft things which i am excited to do tomorrow! ironman 3 was beautiful. I love the whole movie so much. I slept over at trista's because mum has a thing to go to and i don't want her to pick me up if it's too late. so at her house, trista had her own homework to do while i was reading Looking For Alaska by John Green. I know this book from tumblr. I wasn't interested because it was sooooo popular on tumblr but because the writing was beautiful. i didn't know what the story was all about, but a quote of the book came up on tumblr, and it said:

"Shhhh," she said. "I'm sleeping." 
Just like that. From a hundred miles an hour to asleep in a nano second. 
I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. 
Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. 
Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of phrase. 
But I lacked of courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and 
I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. 
So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, 
thinking that if people were rain, 
I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.
John Green, Looking For Alaska page 88

The paragraph Green wrote woke me up thinking "what book is this? how is it that this book attracted so much of my attention? i want to read this book. no, i need to read this book." So I've been looking for this book everywhere with the daisies cover but I couldn't find it. Apparently my cousin bought the book with the purple wax cover so I read it. For six and a half hours. Yes six and a half hours. On Saturday from 10.30 - 11.30. On Sunday from 08.30-11.30, and 13.30 - 16.00. The book was so addictive I couldn't let it out of my sight. My butt was sore after reading the whole time but it was worth it. 

The book was different from other teenage love/sex/drugs/suicide novels. I have only read a few teenage problems novels and those are: The Perks of Being a WallflowerPhantasmagoria (it's a combination of love and mystery), Pretty Little Liars (combination of love, mystery and thriller), A Walk To Remember, Go Ask Alice, and Looking For Alaska. Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Mysterious Benedict Society, Coraline, and the books that I've read are mostly adventure novels. My friend loves teenage novels that sucks (from my eyes) because it is so normal. But novels about love/sex/drugs/suicide that I have read are the books I think are not "normal" They are eccentric in a good way. The author have a good way of telling the story to us, readers.

I have read three teen novels that are from the boy's point of view, and three of those books are hard to forget. I have list down the common things these three books have, which are:



Looking For Alaska and Perks of Being a Wallflower are already considered as perfect, although Phantasmagoria is almost perfect (probably because the writer is new). 

What I love about Looking For Alaska is that it has its own 'x factor'. When you read Perks, Chbosky mentioned the books and music Charlie loved in details. When you read Alaska, Green gave each character a very rare-not-so-important gift, which Pudge happens to have the gift of remembering people's last words before they die. I guess the little things matter a lot because without those little things, that book will be nothing but another dull chick flick novel.

SO: CONCLUSION
The teenage problems books that I have read actually gave me something to hold on. They made me feel what the character is actually feeling and as if I was the character. The teenage problems kind of books might look like 'light reading' but it's actually not. It's actually kind of hard to process so it's good for the brain. Makes me think.

Anyway, I'm not going to spill anymore spoilers than I already have. If you're interested in the books I just told you about, go on and read it. I promise you, you will not regret.


" 'Sometimes I don't get you,' I said. 
She didn't even glance at me. 
She just smiled toward the television and said, 
'You never get me. That's the whole point,' " 
- Looking For Alaska, John Green

"Why should you care when she has done nothing but 
make you feel left out and 
even much lonelier than you already are?" 
- Phantasmagoria, Sky Nakayama

"There is so much pain, 
and I don't know how to not notice it." 
- Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

Comments