Start Up


It's been roughly two weeks since 2017 has started and lazy me hasn't update any sort of 2017 post! I'm going back to Bali next week, and honestly it feels very fast because that means uni will be starting soon.

Movies has been a big part of me. My dad works in the movie industry, thus my love for movies grew since I was a kid. My brother, Julian, was named after his favourite actress, Julia Roberts. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry with big CDs (something like a vinyl, but it's not), and then to The Sound of Music VCDs, off to Finding Nemo DVD, and so on.

I started to memorise actors and actress, and had a hobby of watching trailers on Youtube. And then a group of friends and I managed to make our very own movie (and won best director, best scriptwriter and best editing). And then I moved to Bali and I missed watching movies on theatres every other weekend, because uni isn't all that free.

Anyway, to celebrate the beginning of a year, I wanted to share the movies I have watched and a bit of how the movie influenced me. Therefore, here's a post on what to watch when...


You're on a long-haul flight:


Le Petit Prince (2015)


A French movie about a little girl who is trying to get into a prestigious oh-so-serious school, however is distracted by a very quirky and interesting next door old man. Seeing this in a plane with the stars shining makes the movie even magical than ever.

☆ runner ups:
Happy Christmas (2014)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)


You're heartbroken:
When Harry Met Sally (1989)


Harry met Sally after uni, and their relationship expanded for the next 12 years. A great movie to watch after a heartbreak. It gives you hope that your significant other is out there. Maybe he / she's already there, you just haven't figure it out. 

☆ runner ups:
(500) Days of Summer (2009)
If I Stay (2014)


You're in love:
50 First Dates (2004)


Adam Sandler movies are always romantic, and this is one of the best. A guy falls in love with a girl who has short term memory loss after an accident, and he keeps on making her fall in love with him everyday. This movie makes me very happy because it is nice to see a guy giving so much effort for one girl.


7 Hari / 24 Jam (2014)


An Indonesian movie I really love, shows a hard working couple who worked too hard and ended up being in a hospital room together for seven days straight. A simple rom-com that can get you all teary eyed.

☆ runner ups:
The Proposal (2009)
Up In The Air (2009)


You miss your friends:
Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)


A classic adolescent must-haves and must-watch, PoBaW is a great movie on anxious Charlie trying to make friends in high school. The movie reminds you how you can love someone so much even though they're bad influences and how little things such as mix tapes can mean so much.


Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 (2008)


A heartwarming movie on love and friendship, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 can give you the tears and cheers of life. A story on four different girls, each with a story that connects each other. A great movie to watch with your super pals.

☆ runner ups:
The Parent Trap (1998)
Monte Carlo (2011)


You need an adrenaline rush:
Rush (2013)


Based on a true story on Niki Lauda and James Hunt, Rush shows determination and passion for racing. I felt like I was transported to the glam and crap of the 1970s, and felt the power and enthusiast of both Lauda and Hunt to win.

☆ runner ups:
Premium Rush (2012)
ALL Resident Evil (2002 - 2016)


You want to be mind blown:
Oculus (2013)


The first horror-thriller movie I have seen that actually blew my mind with its twisting plot and logic. A pair of siblings went back to their parent's house, along with an antique mirror. Little did they know, the mirror has its own twisted mind.

☆ runner ups:
Inception (2010)
Arrival (2016)


You're homesick:
Untuk Selalu (2016)


A 16 minute video on Indonesian descendants or Indonesian who has been living in the Netherlands for a long time, and how they feel of Indonesia. Either you're away from home, in a different city or a different country, this video reminds you the little things that makes you an Indonesian. You can watch this on Youtube. article

☆ runner ups:
Ada Apa Dengan Cinta 2 (2016)
Petualangan Sherina (2000)
Filosofi Kopi (2015)


You just want to eat but there's no food:
Chef (2014)


One of my favourite movies of all time, a drama comedy on a restaurant chef who decided to open his own food truck business with his closest friends and family. This movie is filled with mouthwatering graphics all over your screen that you won't get enough of. 

☆ runner up:
Ratatouille (2007)


You're bored:
The Intern (2015)


A great movie on a relationship between a boss and a senior intern who ends up being best friends. This movie always cheers me up as well as filling me with real life relationship lessons, hah! Such a helpful movie to watch during your times of doing nothing.

☆ runner up:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010)


Just because:
One Fine Day (1996)


Also one of my favourite movies of all time, Clooney & Pfeiffer spends a day together bringing their kids to work accidentally. This movie is filled with romantic shenanigans and cute annoying little kids all mixed together. I have watched this movie a million times and believe me when I say this movie (and music!!!) does not bore you. ++ Young Clooney umfff.

Comments