Yayoi Kusama


A few days after I arrived in Jakarta, I went to Yayoi Kusama's Life is the Heart of a Rainbow exhibition at Museum MACAN. You can say that Museum MACAN is relatively new, but is definitely making its way up to the top by bringing Kusama's artworks to Jakarta. The only thing I knew about Kusama was her passion in polkadots. Polkadots, polkadots, polkadots, everywhere. So on June 12th, my brother and I decided to visit Kusama's exhibition and see her polkadots of artworks.


The time spent at the exhibition was enough to view all of her works in a slow-paced kind of sight seeing. However, there are a few installations that can only be viewed in a very limited time (I'm talking about 15-60 seconds here). I get the fact that they're limiting the time so that everyone gets to see the installation "peacefully". However, I'm pretty sure they do that just so that people can have the instagrammable pictures, and not think about the people who actually want to enjoy Kusama's installations. If you're visiting the exhibition on a less-crowded days, lucky you, you get to queue again and again. But on crowded days, a queue that takes 20 minutes is enough.

Out of all the installation, I have a soft spot for her Body and Performance installation and Love Forever installation. The Body and Performance installation is a really great set of documentations during the world war(s), American political issues, and how art is making a contribution for peace. Sadly, we weren't allowed to take photographs of the Body and Performance installation. 

I can't say much of the exhibition, except for the fact that it is truly a masterpiece. I mean if possible, I would love to see Kusama doing an artwork live. That would be like seeing how her artistic brain works and hoping I could learn to use my artistic self in such a way.




Details. 


Pictures taken with iPhone 5s and Julian's phone.
Edited on Afterlight and Adobe Photoshop.

Comments