Life Update: July 2018


I've been pretty busy for the past month, it's driving me crazy. Here's a summary of the things I did:

My brother and a few of my cousins went to Bali during their summer holiday. They stayed at a hostel 7 minutes away from my place, by bike. I was pretty busy at that time, but I made time and was able to spend most days exploring parts of the island with them. We went to Batubolong and explored the whole street, which included The Love Anchor market, Old Man’s weekend market, Batubolong Beach, Warung Bu Mi and Crate Cafe. It was pretty exciting because I rarely explore North Kuta. We went swimming in the beach at 5 pm. The next day we rented a car and went to Hidden Canyon for a river trekking adventure. The trail took around 2 hours to finish, but it was all super worth it because of the beautiful rocking sceneries. We went to Ubud for lunch, visited a temple, and ended the day by eating Massimo Gelato at Sanur. The next day I had to go do some uni work, but all of us went out to get grilled fish for dinner at Kedonganan Fish Market. They flew back to Jakarta the next day.






My faculty’s dive club (BASIC Udayana) recently just held our second expedition ever. It was held in 3 villages, Bondalem, Tejakula and Les, all in Northern Bali. What we took were coral reef data, water quality, and surveyed local fisherman. What we gave was a one-hour program to the local kids on why they should care more about the sea, and simple introduction to SCUBA diving. I got the chance to dive and take invertabrates and reef condition data, and it wasn’t easy. Other than the ocean being a bit moody, I’ve never took invertabrates data before, making it a challenge. Nevertheless, we made it. Data is collected and we are safe! A whole lot of love and thanks to the people who participated in this expedition.






I recently just started my KKN (live-in) program. The preparation was pretty complicated, where we had to make action plans and decide where to live, and who brings what. It’s been a week, and our schedule hasn’t been as busy as our other friends’ schedule. We went to the village government office, some primary schools, and visited our supervised (financially) disable family. Our main purpose is basically to develop the village in ways possible, whether it’s their infrastructure, people’s mindset, children’s education, etc. Besides doing our main purpose, a few friends and I have been running some mornings toward Taman Ujung Park while viewing the sunrise by the sea and Gunung Agung with its glory, and we can’t wait to explore more parts of the Karangasem regency. I am honestly so blessed to have (only) 15 new housemates and not as many as other villages. Within a week, we have finally reached the point where we made flirt jokes (and only as jokes), spoke our hearts out on our previous and current relationships, discussed a pretty serious topic (and in the end agree to disagree), and basically just to trust each other. I mean, living together with new people you’ve never been friends with is hard, but I’m glad the people within the group are all really easy going. We even manage to conduct movie nights every 3 days at our basecamp. Let’s hope every thing goes well until the next four weeks.





D I got accepted to participate at the YSEALI Marine Debris Expedition! I can't tell you anything now, but it's definitely going to be fun! Keep an eye on my Instagram stories!!!

I'll write soon!

Comments

  1. Very good experiences... Love to read your blog Janis. Very nice pictures, girl!! Keep posting... Proud of you Janis. I ll keep reading your blog, girl.... Kiss kiss hug hug!! Tante Sita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think