Urip Iku Urup


It felt surreal going to Jogja with them. We didn’t even plan it that well, but it happened. Our main goal was obvious though, just to get Tio outside Bali for the first time in his life, ever. And we did. I will forever be happy of what we have given him, especially since it was his 22nd birthday on our last day during the train ride home. Thank you Tio for being the reason I get to go back to Jogja, and Yande, Indi, Dira, Ariston, Thobie and Danno for being great companies. Thank you to Vicky as well, for making the time to visit me while I'm in Jogja.

Besides our very cherished 14 hours train ride towards Jogja (and Banyuwangi, too), we spent our time lingering around Malioboro, drinking Kopi Joss, riding becak, and shopping for Rp25.000 batik pants. We visited Filosofi Kopi as well, which to be honest didn’t have that good of a coffee (plus they were always out of affogato!!!!), and only won by branding and location scout. At night we got ourselves some Il Tempo del Gelato cones, and then head towards Alun-Alun Kidul to play the wishing tree challenge, and of course rode the car. Had breakfast at Nasi Uduk Palagan!!!, and dinners at the famous Sate Klathak (Pak Jeje) and House of Raminten. During day light, we visited Taman Sari Water Palace (always have, and always will be one of my favourite places in Jogja!), Keraton Palace (only one site though, we didn’t get to visit the other four), and Mangunan Pine Forest! All the places we visited were super fun and cultural. Four days wasn’t enough, and I can’t wait to start planning more adventures with them.




Daramuda Project gadungan photo session

First night out at Malioboro



Alun-alun kidul night







Gelatos and Sate Klatakkkk!
Danno

Going back to Jogja (my dad was tagging along with us after finishing his work there) and looking back to the culture in the city reminds me of my Javanese trait. I know I have thick (central) Javanese blood in me, and I’ve proofed the existence of Javanese blood in me by applying Javanese daily norms and attitudes, learning to play gamelan and definitely Javanese traditional dance. But sometimes it doesn’t feel like it’s enough. It’s weird because I don’t have a kampung to go home to. I mean, I do but I just don’t go there occasionally. And when people ask me where I’m from, or where my kampung is, it’s sad because I can’t answer it proudly. I’m still so lost about my family tree and culture, I actually feel sad about it. That’s why I’m always very excited to learn about my family tree, or which sultan is my great-great-great-great ? grandpa. Even though I’m still so lost about my descent, I’m still glad I get to learn even the most basic stuff of Javanese culture. Most importantly, I am very, very, very happy to be able to have Javanese traditional dance as my basic dance. I also felt very happy and peaceful listening to Javanese gamelan songs. It makes me feel like an actual Javanese (which I am). Does this post even makes sense? I don’t know. I’m just spilling my brain out.

Accommodation:
- Train tickets (Banyuwangi - Lempuyangan  PP) bought at Traveloka and Kereta Api Indonesia website
- Bus tickets (Ubung - Gilimanuk PP) bought on site
- Ferry tickets (Gilimanuk - Ketapang PP) bought on site
- Rented a car for 2,5 days at Cahaya Trans
- The boys slept at a friend's place, and the girls slept at De'Oplet Homestay and Gallery

Itinerary:
Here

Photos by everyone, using smart phones and pocket cameras.
Edited on Afterlight and Adobe Photoshop.

Comments