life update: january 2021

Photo by Ellie using an Olympus TG-6

Okay... So 2021 in a month so far has been... Overwhelming. A lot of things have been on my plate this month, but don't get me wrong. I am still truly grateful. I just need to learn to manage my time and priorities better. I mean, aren't we all learning how to do that? I feel like it's a never-ending lesson.

Some things we/I accomplished: passed my PADI freediver course after 7 days of training (thank you sinuses for cooperating, finally); finished six days of microplastics sampling in the swelly and choppy Manta Bay waters; submitted a grant application to the PADI Foundation; published one vlog on YouTube; received the IdeaWild equipment grant (new cameras, baby!); made my own vegan mushroom soup; tried cooking rice vermicelli (nailed it!); applied to the HK Ocean Park Conservation Foundation (y'all let me tell u); meditated for two weeks straight; and honestly, just being able to get through the month... What an achievement!

Just by the first month of the year, I am blessed enough to be given new (and not to mention bigger and better) opportunities. But sometimes... the bigger and better the opportunity, the more effort I have to input. I forgot about that at times... Thinking I could juggle everything all at once. With everything going on at the same time, my brain couldn't help but multi-task (which in fact is more likely to be switching tasks) a lot of times. It tires me physically, I had an actual nap, which I rarely have.

Lucky me, I get to live on a small island where the ocean is just 15 meters away from the office. The beach is just a 2-minute walk from my little humble abode. And friendly stray dogs are everywhere. Sometimes I just sit down at the beach, surrounded by the dogs I'm familiar with (and them being familiar with me too), and can't help but think how lovely a first date would be walking by the beach while petting dogs here and there (or sometimes the occasional getting fleas out of dogs... so satisfying). I've been going on walks with Kiko the Princess Dog, walking barefoot here and there, randomly swimming on mentally-tiring days, and attending several yoga classes. Little things like these feel like a breath of fresh air.

In February, I will be seeing a lot of different people, coming to and leaving this little island called Nusa Lembongan. There has been a lot of "I'm going to Lembo next month" messages, and even though I might be slightly overwhelmed with work (working in marine science and conservation isn't all about fieldwork. It's also about the post-fieldwork responsibilities, a.k.a. processing and analysis and outreach and reporting), I'm excited to meet a couple of my friends. Seeing familiar faces always bring me joy. I'm also planning to do more yoga and freediving next month. I need more slowing-down activities to keep me sane.

I guess I'll end it here, for now. I'm trying to post at least one blog post a month like I am trying to do with my Lembo Living vlog on YouTube. Will I manage to keep my words? Unlikely. But it's the effort that counts, no?

I hope the first 5 weeks of the new year has given you some clues on things to look forward to in the upcoming months. Cheers.

Pictures were taken with different cameras and by different people; see caption.


(L-R): Capt. Made helping with the trawling - Picture by Ellie; Another all-girls team!


(L-R): transferring our plankton and microplastic samples to their designated jars; tallying how many plastics were found during our trawling sessions - Pictures by Ellie with iPhone.

(L-R): Our interns taking Introductory to Freediving at Blue Corner Dive - Picture by Janis with GoPro Hero 5; Taking our pool lessons out in the open ocean - Picture by Ellie with Olympus TG-6.

(L-R): coming back up for breaths of fresh air; my reaction to when Cam said "...and that's what you needed to pass this course!" - Pictures by Ellie with Olympus TG-6.

Comments